This popular seminar focuses on the challenges and opportunities present when diverse race and gender groups interact with each other. Though diversity offers tremendous potential for learning and enrichment, there are also moments of conflict and tension over differences in perspective and approach. This program offers the skills necessary to develop and support an effective learning environment where everyone feels valued and acknowledged for their uniqueness and contributions.
Using a variety of learning tools, this program will mix films, personal stories, experiential exercises, discussion and lectures.
Participants can expect the following:
- Learn how gender and race issues affect one’s perspectives and behaviors
- Gain a deeper understanding of how gender and race can enhance and stimulate a stronger sense of community and cooperation
- Learn how to work with diverse groups to identify and realize strengths and areas needing improvement
- Understand divergent communication styles, perspectives, and expectations
- Practice effective listening and responsive communication techniques
- Discover ways to mediate gender and race issues cross-culturally
- Learn new means to begin a conversation of gender and race