As schools continue to change, what are some of the new skills and perspectives that will be needed to meet the challenges of a more diverse population? What are some of the fears about having to change? What will be required to adapt to these new cultures?
In this unique workshop and training, participants will learn that cultural competency requires not only an awareness of cultural differences, but also many other competencies including cross-cultural communication skills, community development and an awareness of social issues and contexts.
Through the use of films, personal stories and experiential exercises, participants will learn:
- Ways to interpret and make use of new emotions and modes of communication
- How to notice the intent and impact inherent in all our communications
- How to listen to what is being said and what is not being said
- A variety of ways to create a sense of community when confronted by a diverse population
- How to ask culturally appropriate questions
- The importance of listening & responding
- How to mediate conflicts that are cultural in nature
- Exploring, culturally, what is needed and what is not