In today’s workplace environment, cultural competency is a must, not only because we are entering into a global economy, but because an increasing number of employees are entering into the workplace from a vast variety of cultures and geographic regions. With those new faces come different perspectives and unique ways of approaching leadership and workplace situations. Unless those different perspectives are understood and valued, an environment of distrust, confusion, and fear threatens to erupt in the form of conflicts, lawsuits and communications breakdowns.
In this unique workshop and training, participants will learn that cultural competency requires not only an awareness of cultural differences, but also many other cultural competencies, including cross-cultural communications skills, community development expertise, and an awareness of social issues and contexts.
Through the use of films, role plays, and a variety of experiential exercises, and personal stories, participants will learn:
- How to turn judgments into curiosity
- The art of inquiry instead of statements
- The art of listening and responding
- How to de-escalate a conflict within minutes
- A variety of ways to reframe our perceptions
- How past experiences influence our perceptions and reactions