So often we are afraid to begin a conversation on diversity issues because we have had a bad experience or feel we will say something wrong or hurtful. This seminar is particularly exciting and satisfying, because it allows everyone to practice talking to someone who is different from them in a compassionate and honest way. Participants will learn that they are not alone in their fears and that all of us lack a “model” of how to begin this type of conversation. The most important ingredient is our sincerity and our willingness to learn and understand each other.
We will practice sharing with each other through films, small group interactions, role plays, and personal stories.
Participants will learn:
- To notice the impact and intent of our communications
- Ways to respond compassionately and openly about diversity issues
- How to listen mindfully and with awareness
- How personal stories can affect our perceptions and attitudes
- Ways to create a sense of community through dialogue and stories
- How to work with conflict and hurt when diversity issues are involved