The art of listening and being fully present with someone isn’t easy, given the world we live in today, with all its distractions and responsibilities. However, our inattention costs us missed opportunities to connect and to truly learn about each other. In the world of social services, where connecting with someone is essential in cementing trust and alliances, the consequences can be high-priced. How much do we miss in our communications and relationships that could be of value to everyone? Do we truly know what each person has to offer? Do we value differences as much as we value similarities? How much do we miss in our communications because we are more interested in the answer than we are in the possibilities of each question? Or more involved in the solution than the journey and the lessons learned?
Come explore what it truly means to be present with each person. Learn how asking questions and being curious are the gateways to empathy. Discover what it means to listen, not only to what is being said, but also to what is not. Observe what it means to truly notice the impact and ramifications of each of our communications on the quality of our connections and relationships.
Participants will learn:
- The Art of Listening & Responding
- Ways to mindfully observe what is being said and what is not
- Nine Healthy Ways to Communicate
- How to empathetically listen and respond to personal stories
- How to utilize the art of inquiry to connect with different groups in conflict
- Making use of different communication styles and approaches